• 'Back for Opening Day': Remy opens up about cancer battle on Boston 25


    FORT MYERS, Fla. - Red Sox broadcaster Jerry Remy joined the NESN crew on Boston 25 Thursday and talked about his battles with cancer. 

    “Everything is going very well,” he told NESN’s Steve Lyons and Dave O’Brien. 

    Remy completed his latest round of treatments for cancer after having surgery last June. 

    His battle with lung cancer dates back to 2008. A portion of his lung was removed in the most recent procedure. 

    When Remy originally announced he was opting for surgery, his hope was to return to the booth shortly after the All-Star break in July, but he sat out the rest of the Sox 2017 season.

    He said doctors were hopeful the surgery would remove his cancer, but he was given word that it had spread after the surgery. He said he was forced to go through 27 treatments of radiation through the off-season and into January. 

    “It was tough physically, it was tough emotionally, but the fact is the doctors are so good, as long as you’re seeing progress, you know, you feel good about it,” Remy said.  “You go to these places where you get the chemo and the ration and you got people…all in probably worse shape than you are, so there’s a lot of people all with tremendous courage who help you get through things like this.”

    Remy said he made a promise last year that he would be back for opening day. 

    “And I will be back for opening day,” Remy said. 

    MORE: Jerry Remy finished latest cancer treatments

    Next Up: