UXBRIDGE, Mass. – After a nor’easter knocked out power to more than 350,000 Massachusetts residents, the dangers from generators are one of the top concerns for emergency responders.
Uxbridge firefighters told Boston 25 News they responded to three generator-related incidents in the 24 hours after the storm.
“Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless gas. So, you’re not going to know it’s seeping into your house or that the levels are building,” Lt. Roger Lavallee said.
The dangerous gas can seep into homes if a generator or other engine is running nearby.
“You want to make sure it’s in a well-ventilated area not too close to the house,” Lavallee said.
At one of the calls, a couple left their generator running inside a closed garage.
“Because the garage doors were not open the CO got into the house,” he said.
Lavallee said that couple was very lucky they didn’t get sick. As were the residents at the other homes firefighters responded to for CO alarms.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, nausea and dizziness. At higher levels, CO can cause sleepiness and when it’s not caught it can cause death.
Tips for generator safety:
- Keep at least 15 ft. From home
- Point away from occupied areas
- Do not run in a garage or crawl space
- Check batteries in co detectors
© 2018 Cox Media Group.