• Officials determine cause of fatal Christmas Eve fire in Abington

    Updated:

    ABINGTON, Mass. - Improper use of smoking material was the cause of a deadly Christmas Eve fire in Abington, according to officials.

    The state fire marshal and the Abington Fire Chief determined the cause Wednesday.

    The victim in the fire, 71-year-old Stanley Simon, smoked mini-cigars - which aren't held to the same compliance standards as cigarettes.

    Officials said the fire started in an upholstered recliner.

    MORE: One person dies in fire in Abington senior apartment complex

    The fire broke out around 2:30 p.m. at the Chestnut Glen Senior Housing complex.

    Four seniors were brought to the hospital for exposure to smoke, and 47 people were temporarily evacuated to the adjacent building while firefighters knocked down the flames.

    Officials said the building has fire sprinklers in the hallways, but not inside individual apartments.

    Next Up: